- Class: III/III+
- Distance:8 kilometers (5 miles)
- Average Gradient: n/a
- Maximum Gradient: n/a
- Temperature: chilly, glacial snow melt river
- Water Quality: excellent, chalk blue
- Character: variable, from smooth wide flats, to narrow deep and fast, drop pool
- Nearby Rivers: Trancura River - Lower, Trancura River - Upper, Palguin River, Truful Truful River, Fuy River
The Rio Liucura is a classic Class III river in the Pucon area of Chile’s famous Lakes District. Sometimes referred to as the ‘Lower Liucura River’, the run begins about 20 kms outside of Pucon and finishes up just after the confluence with the Rio Trancura. The run is characterized by a mixture of wide open shallows and narrow points of constriction that produce great play features. The Rio Liucura is famous for the Liucura Wave or the ‘Liucura Spot’ as it is known locally, a great play wave that is typically present in the lower water summer months. The river is commercially run so expect to see other rafters, kayakers and duckies on the water.
The last rapid of the Rio Liucura (the second after the Rio Trancura confluence), just before the take-out at the bridge should be scouted your first time down.
River Flows / Gauge Information / Season
The Rio Liucura runs year round with low flows in the months on January and February. Approximate flows are 2000 cfs (56 cms) but can vary considerably depending on the season ( and recent weather) you are kayaking.
Put-Ins and Take-Outs
- Put-in: Head out of the village of Pucon toward the town of Caburgua. This road will cross the Rio Trancura at a bridge(Puente Metrenehue). At approximately one half a kilometer, a road will appear going left. Take this road all the way until you get to the Liucura river. Expect the road to turn to gravel as you get closer to the put-in. There are cut offs from this road on the right that also go to the river, these will extend your run some by adding a flatwater 'warm-up' stretch before the whitewater. Follow the 'camping signs' posted on the road to find this alternate put-in.
- Take-out: To run shuttle re-cross the Rio Trancura in the other direction and look for the road heading north to the village of Quelhue. Take this road to the bridge crossing the Rio Trancura. This will be your take-out.
From the city of Freire, on the Pan American Highway (Route 5), take Route 119 (southeast) to the town of Villarrica and onward to the village of Pucon. The trip from Freire to Pucon is 80 kilometers. If coming from the south on Route 5, head east to Villarrica after passing through the city of Loncoche.
Places to Stay / Campgrounds
There are numerous campgrounds in the Pucon Valley even along the Rio Liucura itself. In the high season finding a quieter one can be difficult as they are often full of outdoor enthusiasts visiting the Pucon area. You can also find plenty of non-camping lodging options in the resort town of Pucon.
Maps & Outside Links
Copyrights: (Copyright © 2006, Expediciones Chile) All photos, maps, diagrams, text and computer code is the copyrighted property of Expediciones Chile with all rights reserved.
Disclaimer: Under no circumstances should paddlers substitute the information and diagrams in this guidebook for their own sound judgment on the river and their collective experience running rivers. The diagrams, maps and descriptions found here are only approximations of what paddlers will find on the river once they get to Chile or Argentina. They are not to scale and nor are they completely accurate. Water levels change, rocks move around, landslide debris can enter the river at any time making the diagrams obsolete. Expediciones Chile also reserves the right to update these diagrams and descriptions at any time as we find better ways to illustrate and discuss the rapids. Use this guidebook at your own risk.Read More: Disclaimer